What does antifreeze for your car do? 5 facts every car owner must know!
If you are a car owner, you may have heard the word antifreeze thrown around a bit. Perhaps by your mechanic or maybe your car-obsessed brother. However, if you’re the type of person who knows that you need antifreeze for your car, but you have no idea why and what does antifreeze do, then these 5 facts are for you.
5 facts you need to know about antifreeze for your car:
- It may be obvious that antifreeze prevents freezing but have you ever wondered what does antifreeze do?Antifreeze is added to the engine cooling system’s water in order to lower the freezing point. This is vital because if the water in your engine were to freeze, it would cause serious damage to the radiator and other components. This would cost you an arm and a leg to fix.
- Although you may be able to figure out the use of antifreeze for your car from the name, did you know it also prevents your car from overheating? Antifreeze raises the boiling point of your engine’s radiator coolant to prevent overheating so your car can go for longer.
- There are two types of antifreeze to choose from when buying antifreeze for your car. Firstly, there is a concentrated form. This needs to be diluted with water at around a 50/50 distribution, but it’s best to check the bottle for the exact measurements.The second type is ready mixed, which is commonly referred to as engine or radiator coolant. This can normally be used straight away for top-ups and replacements.
- Older cars manufactured before 1998 require different antifreeze than cars manufactured after 1998. Many of the modern cars require antifreeze that uses silicate-free, organic acid technology. However, older cars require more traditional antifreeze for them that does contain silicate.
- If you don’t wait for your engine to cool before adding antifreeze, you create a possibility that your engine gets burned or you could crack your engine block. If you open the radiator caps on your coolant system when the engine is hot, the hot coolant may be ejected, and that could seriously hurt!
Looking for antifreeze/coolant flush service?
Our ADRAD agents are all across New Zealand on hand to help you with any radiator coolant, antifreeze for automobiles, radiator repair service, air conditioning matter you may have. We have a customer is always the first attitude and are sure to greet new and old customers with a smile. Alongside this, all radiator repairs done at any agent in the country are guaranteed by ADRAD with a 2-year nationwide guarantee. Meaning you can get a radiator repair done in Auckland and you will be protected the whole drive down to Christchurch and beyond.